Monday, February 22, 2010

Mother Of The Year???

Hello. My name is Karla, and I am NOT mother-of-the-year.(MOTY) Let me explain.

Reason #4326 (Why I do not qualify for MOTY.)
In my life before children, when I had parenting all figured out, I proclaimed more than once that my children would never play with my keys. I mean, could you think of handing them anything more contaminated to put in their mouths??? Gross. I definitely would never do that. That would like be letting them suck on coins.

Yeah, so I let my babies play with my keys. Trying to keep 2 babies happy on long outings, when the only thing that will satisfy their sense of curiosity is your nasty, jangling, metallic-tasting keys. Judge me if you will. I'm okay with that. But I've learned (yet again,) to never-say-never.

Reason #4327
Today after running an almost unheard of DOUBLE-errand, in the afternoon no less, we had a very bad thing happen. We had just finished Costco and a full grocery run. Lincoln was falling apart, Lila was close and I was rushing to load up. Lincoln first. I snapped him in his car seat, shut the door and I heard a terrible noise. The car locking!!! Yep, my keys had fallen into Lincoln's lap when I was strapping him in and I forgot to grab them. So Lincoln is locked in the car while Lila, me and about 15 grocery bags are outside of the car. I will go ahead and not collect my mother-of -the-year award here. (Insert panic laughter.) I'm looking at the Linc-man trying to will him to press the unlock button. Meanwhile he continues to lock, and re-lock the car about 50 times. Yes, the horn is honking by the way. And then another terrible thing happens. Lincoln drops the keys. I try calling Brian, oh about 20 times. No answer. (I knew he was working late this evening.) I tried calling my neighbor, no answer. I called my girl Emily, who called her husband who was going to come bail me out. Finally Brian called me back. He was able to slip away and come bail me out. Whew! Lincoln was so over peek-a-boo at that point, and Lila was quite cold. And me, well I was exhausted. So thank you to M + Em for being so willing to help a girl out. And you're welcome to all the people who sat in their cars at Costco just to watch my drama unfold.

Not-so-much fun for El Linco.

Lila had the better end of the deal. FOR SURE!!!


6 comments:

  1. yup, that's definitely your parking job...tires on the line baby!

    so glad you are out of the contest for MOTY. I am one step closer to winning the award!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a REAL adventure. Well, if you didn't find it funny today, you will find it comical one day. Such memories! That is one for the baby book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also learned to never say never and I also lost my spot in line for MOTY when Kelley was an infant and I also locked her in after putting her in the car seat and very safely locking and shutting the door before I realized that I had set the keys on the seat next to the carseat!!!So I know just how you felt...Scott was in the forest somewhere working so fortunately a kind police man opened my car for me!!!Nanny S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude- you must have slept good that night! Crazy!
    -Jemi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being mother of the year is waaaaaaay overrated I am sure (never having rec'd one myself):):):). How boring to be perfect!!!!! Gotta have those most excelllllent horror stories to tell around the campfires of life!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so awesome....well, I am not Nanie of the year...Last time L & T were staying the night,...L locked T&Me out of the house...on purpose..I forgot to tell mom & dad about that experience. I absolutely love reading your blogs. Thanks for sharing such heart warming stories!

    ReplyDelete