Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ode To Breastfeeding

You can file this post under too much information if: A.) you can't handle the word breast and/or nipple, or B.) can't handle the very thought of breastfeeding! So just stop reading right now if that describes you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Last chance for the sqeamish. Turn away now...

So here we are, approaching the first birthday of our twins. (Deep breath Karla!) When I was pregnant, many people asked me if I intended to nurse the babies. So many people in fact, that I began to wonder if they knew something I didn't. Others would just offer their opinions that I would never be able to do it, my body wouldn't be able to keep up or make enough milk for two babies, perhaps I should start stock-piling the formula, etc. So when the nurse handed me both babies minutes after their birth and asked if I was going to nurse them, I was like....Ummm, I'll give it a try. Cut to 5 seconds later, 2 nurses grabbing 2 boobies and placing 2 babies on them. I know, great visual right! Fast-forward to now and the end is in sight. I have successfully nursed these babies all the way to my goal of 12 months. And the weaning has begun. :)

As with everything having to do with twins, I must make sure to give credit to others who helped on this journey.

*The many nurses who fondled me so much in the hospital I'm sure my huz was jealous.
*The super-patient and helpful lactation consultants. (I had heard these ladies were nazi-ish when it came to nursing. NOT TRUE in my case.)
*The home-care nurse who looked at my boob, when Lincoln was a week old and learning to nurse, and said...'I've seen worse.' Ummm...ouch!
*Lamisol cream and Playtex gel pads for getting me through the first two weeks.
*Nursing pads--24/7. 'Not have enough milk' they said, YEAH RIGHT!!!!
*My super-fantastic husband who pretty much did everything while I sat on my butt and fed babies all day, every day in the beginning. Diaper-changing king for sure!
*The boppy pillow. One of the best baby inventions ever.
*Lila Pearl for coming out hungry. She was the only one of three of us who seemed to know what to do. My little teacher.
*Lincoln Scott. My lil' dude who patiently worked with his mama until we both figured it out. Determination must be genetic?!?
*And lastly God--Thank you for giving me the best (leaky) cleavage of my life.

I know breastfeeding isn't what's best for everyone, and I am totally supportive of that. I just feel super-blessed. Blessed that my determination paid off. Blessed to have two super-healthy babies. Blessed because what I once thought was a little strange and creepy became one of my greatest accomplishments to date. Another way becoming a mama has softened me up. Dang it!



8 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Great job...you are truly blessed! Yeah for 1 yr!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Karla! :) You are blessed and Linc and Lila are blessed to have you for their momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job, supermom karla!!!!! these babies continue to have THE best start EVER!!!!!! HERE'S TO YOU, GIRL!!!!!! and to the babies for hangin in and to superdad brian!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written. I knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock little Mama! People wandered if I'd be able to breastfeed at times what with my small God-given boobies, and with some health issues I dealt with when Gabi was little. But, I presevered, and thankfully had plenty of milk too. I'm so thankful to have nursed all my babies as well. Anyway, I'm so proud of you, especially with two little suckers (no pun intended). What a gift you've given your kids, and you too.I'll sign off now cause Luci doesn't like me multi-tasking while she's nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always knew you could do it and you have done an amazing job!!! I only offered formula to you because I could get it free!!! Kudos to all of you for tag teaming and doing such a great job!!!!Nanny Swish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah you are a rockstar. When they are in kindergarden you can fill that in on your job. ;)
    Jemi

    ReplyDelete