Monday, January 18, 2010

A 6AM Treat

I always thought the sound of an alarm clock was the worst sound in the world to have wake me up. Now my perspective has changed a bit. A screaming baby/babies isn't so fun either. At least when the alarm clock wakes me up, I have a warm shower and a cup of coffee to nurse upon rolling out of bed. That screaming baby means WORK. The day has begun, ready or not. Most likely NOT if the screaming baby woke me. Oh, I might be lucky to get a super-fast shower at some point. I may even get some coffee. Although it probably will have been reheated 5-6 times before I get a sip. (Waking up to a cooing baby on the other hand--well that is pure bliss!)

Today was one of those screaming baby days. Our Pearl woke up screaming, which resulted in our Big Daddy waking up as well. Brian was able to get Lila back down with a quick insertion of her beloved paci, but with the Linc-man, well it was clear that he was just mad. I mean he had a screaming baby wake him up too right?!? Well I tried a couple times to settle him, but I could tell by his cry, my attempts were not going to be successful. And they were not. So I did what we so seldom do...I picked him up. And I rocked him. And he cuddled right up to my neck and fell fast asleep. And I enjoyed every sweet second of it. I felt his soft breaths on my neck, I felt his skin touching my own, I listened to the sweet sucking he made on his paci. I was in heaven. And as we approach the big 1st birthday, (DEEP BREATH KARLA), I was reflecting on that tiny boy we brought into our home. I thought about those couple of days when he slept on the light bed, and how I sat right next to him holding his itty-bitty hands and rubbing his head. And now, well now I had his long legs wrapped around my body. I was rubbing his big ole' hands, his daddy's hands on my boy. I was looking at those long eyelashes and chubby cheeks. I was living in a sweet moment that I will cherish forever. And I was thankful, thankful for my screaming-baby-alarm clock on this morning.

And I was thankful for the phone that was with me to capture this picture...

8 comments:

  1. Great photo of you and Linc, Karla. The narrative gradually descibed the twins waking and leaves you picturing Linc sleeping on your lap- then your photo scrolls up! Did you thank Lila for waking up Linc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photo Karla. Way to seize the opportunity and realize that these times pass way too quickly. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so moving and thank you for sharing. Someday Lincoln will read your words and know that his mama deeply loves him.

    Amazing perspective . . . simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great capture Karla....that is a moment that will stay frozen in your memory bank for many years to come....those quiet moments and sweet little faces do truely make us feel Heavens Blessing....Mom S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puts me in mind of the scripture that the Lord comforts us at His breast and sings a song over us.... you and Linc have felt the heart of God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post totally made me teary eyed. Beautiful post Karla! I can't wait to experience all these things one day! Love you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forget to mention that I LOVE the new blog heading!

    ReplyDelete