Wednesday, October 28, 2009

She's Coming Out of the Closet


My mother is coming-out-of-the-closet. She is retiring in 15 days. Her office, which was formally a closet, will be vacant after 27 years. As far back as I can remember, she was a working mom. It is hard to even imagine my mom not working. It wasn't her inner-feminist that drove her in the working world. Nope, like a lot of working moms, it was a more a matter of necessity. I think she always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, but life pushed her in a different direction. She didn't complain about it, rather in true Dotty-Too-Hottie style, she busted ass and excelled in her career. And she impacted hundreds and hundreds of lives in the process. And now, well she gets to do what she always wanted to do in the first place...be at home. And no one deserves it more. People keep asking her what she is going to do when she retires. NOT GO TO WORK PEOPLE! She is going to be a mom, a grammie, a wife and actually have the time to discover what she is truly passionate about. I'm excited to be able to watch my mom get to focus on things that inspire her and not have to think about work. We are going to Cali in a few weeks for her retirement party. I can't wait to see how people choose to honor her. Congrats Mom. You might be one of the hardest working people I know and I couldn't be happier for you.




8 comments:

  1. What a great post Karla! We couldn't be more proud of Debbie. She is an amazing mom, grammie, wife, sister, aunt, and so many other things. We hope she loves every minute of retirement. She deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am overwhelmed and honored, Karla. I just read this 3 times and now I'm going to read it again! You've expressed my heart and my thoughts in a manner that accurately represents the path I've been on. It's been hard to explain what I'm doing sometimes, but you've said it well. I'm excited about the future and what God has in store for me. Thank you, Karla. I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. So THAT'S what you have to write to get a comment outta mom! ;)
    I can't wait til she moves in with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A remarkable and insightful honoring of your mom. Blessings on you all as you embark on this journey:):):):)!!!!! GO GRAMMIE!!!!! ~~~slk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome comments Karla! You already have your speech written for Nov. 15th! You rock ( chip off the old block)! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,
    Congrats on retiring! I"m very happy for you and excited to see what the future holds for you. So nice that your kids recognize all the hard work and dedication you put into your career. But, won't it be nice to be just 'mom/grammie/wife'?!

    Best Wishes -
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tribute Karla!!!! I ,like your Mom ,worked out of neccesity but my heart was always at home!! However we both chose careers that impacted children and parents....I am so happy for you Debbie and Scott and I wish you joy and exitement as you set out on this new adventure...may God give you peace,joy and many blessings in these years ahead!!!!!!Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karla, wow, you have away with words! I am rather envious of your Mom, but I trust in time, my opportunity will come! You have great parents!

    Jeanne Krug

    ReplyDelete