Monday, February 17, 2014

5 (FIVE!)

Well they done-did turn 5.

I tried my hardest to not let it happen.
I even tried to bribe the twins into letting me keep them 4 forever.
 But of course, of course, there's no stopping the hands of time.
DANG IT.

I hope Lila + Lincoln always know that their 
daddy + I never wanted anything as much as we wanted them.

When they made me a mom on February 3, 2009--
I was changed forever.

I have spent 1 day away from them when Jackson was born.
1 week away for our 10th anniversary trip to Hawaii 
and 1 week away on a dream trip to Italy.

Other than those times, it's been me and them every day.
Them + me.
Greatest times of my life.
(Of course Brian too!  But he has that little thing called a job that keeps him busy during the days.)

 Twins.
TWINS.
TWINS!

It's hard to believe that only 5 years ago when we had these babies, 
I didn't know one single person (firsthand) who had twins.

Of course we are not the only people to ever have doubles,
but in our small world we knew no one.
(Now I know lots!)
So we just did what did. 
What felt right.

No family close enough to help during the days.
No nighttime nurse.
No nannies.
Just Brian + I
A whole lot of determination.
An abundance of love.

And now that I've had the pleasure of having one baby at a time,
OH MY GOODNESS,
was it work!
It still is work!
But I truly didn't even realize it.
Because I just loved being with them, 
being their mom, 
and making our way as a family.
So dang much.

I am convinced that Lila + Lincoln have and will teach Brian + I far more than we will ever teach them.
Probably already have.

But if you want some funny stories about twins, at my expense,
buy me a cup of coffee and I will entertain you for hours.

Five is hard because 5 feels substantial.
Just not little anymore.

Their long legs, big hands, bigger appetites and fast-growing feet 
help me understand that things are swiftly changing.

 And kindergarten registration is upon us.
Ugh.
Hard to believe I left teaching kindergarten for these 2, 
and now it's their turn.

When we sang 'Happy Birthday' to Lila in Hawaii she covered her face like she's done every year.
Man, I love that girl. 

 Lincoln tells me it's okay that he's growing up because he will always bring me flowers and give me snuggles.
Even when he's big.

And Lincoln tells me when he's too big for me to pick him up,
he'll pick me up for our hugs.
I love that guy.

Lincoln tells B that he's going to be taller than him someday.
We'll see about that.

We're pretty sure Pearly will be taller than me by Jr high.
But she will always be my baby.

So far 5 is curiosity, goofiness, knowing-it-all, less-listening, more helping, and more independent.


 I have loved each age so.

So bring it 5!

Just don't bring 6 too quickly.
















4 comments:

  1. Teary eyed reading this. It has been a blast watching the Swisher family grow and change, especially over the last 5 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! Love the photos and the commentary. Love the joy exuding from you, little mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love watching the time passing in pictures, so darn sweet and hard to believe that was really 5 years ago! We also have loved every minute of it...it just goes so darn quick!! Good job you two..you made having twins look easy, even though we all know it wasn't always!!! Nanny S

    ReplyDelete

  4. Now that was a fun trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete