Monday, June 15, 2009

Manners

Here is my random thought for the day...

Why is that some people have completely abandoned the idea of MANNERS. Totally blows my mind! It was a rare student I ran across in seven years of teaching that consistently said please and thank you. When you are out for a walk or a bike ride and you pass someone and say 'hello' with a gigantic smile on your face, why is it that they look down and ignore you??? How about letting the person with one item go in front of you and your 8000 items at the grocery store??? A tip for your barista perhaps??? Dare I go so far as a compliment??? Opening the door for someone with their hands full??? Or in my personal case, opening the door for a girl with a stroller as large as me. (You would be surprised at how many people watch me struggle through a door when I'm out and about.) And being the Krug that I am, how about a little timeliness???

I'm not perfect, but I try super-hard to 'mind my manners.' Always could do better though. And as for my turds, L & L...they will be taught and expected to do these things. I'm sure I will be responsible for screwing them up in plenty of other ways. All moms do right??? (Sorry mom, it was a joke.)

THANK YOU for taking the time to read this. :)

5 comments:

  1. We couldn't agree more! And I still can't believe someone would watch you struggle to get through a door with a stroller and not help you! RIDICULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that manners seem to be a somewhat lost art!!!!However we raised our kids with manners as I am sure your parents did also, and therefore you will pass them on...adding a few more gentle souls and positive people to this lacking society!!! I still remember how proud I was of Brian when as a young teenager walking out the door of Dairy Queen with 2 cones in his hands he stopped to hold the door for a very handicapped slow moving lady..When she finally got through the door he had icecream melting down his arms...What a GUY!!! Mom S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thus, social skills groups in school.... sigh. Too many children are left to their own raising... hard to watch gentility and honor and respect becoming a thing of the past for so many. HURRAY FOR THOSE WHO STILL HAVE IT AND FOR THE PARENTS WHO CONTINUE TO INSTILL MANNERS:):). Thank you, Karla and Brian, for being on the side of paying it forward and doing the right thing! --slk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more. I think that "manners" are being taught by some parents now for use "only if that person deserves respect". I think everyone deserves respect and courtesy. I am such a proud momma of JC when he will hold the door open for others and speaks when he is spoken to by people and is a please/thank you child. Often people will not even say thank you to him when he holds the door open and that makes me mad...but I am happy that even though he does not get a "thank you" he still does that for people.

    Our society really has changed since I was a kid...and I pray that the child I am raising (and the two to come) will be raised and hold on to the manners I instill to maybe be a light in the world that has little concern for manners. Hooray for your random thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and you live in the burbs. imagine how rude they are in the big city. and when someone actually does hold the door open for me, and i say thank you, they dont even respond. jerks

    ReplyDelete